Harrow e-learning platform for AISL Academy
Custom Learning Management System based on Open edX® technology
Harrow – one of the world’s top international private school networks, originated in Britain. It unites thousands of teachers and learners in different regions including China, Japan, Singapore, and Thailand.
Their successful schools in Hong Kong, Beijing, Chongqing, Haiku, Nanjing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and other cities are highly regarded and all offer exceptional education to prepare students for a life of learning, leadership, service, and personal fulfillment.
Harrow Innovation Leadership Academy provides life-changing bilingual education that integrates the best of the East and West.
The importance of quality online education takes the leading role. So, Harrow chose Raccoon Gang to build a custom LMS for its staff and students.
Custom features development and setup:
Learning paths have been implemented using the “Open edX Programs” standard feature.
The “Programs” have been customized with categorization abilities.
Personalized course recommendation feature has also been developed for the platform.
Learners can browse recently launched courses and see what’s new in their favorite subjects.
Learners can plan their progress step by step – tracking their progress in the courses included in their chosen programs.
Developed dashboards motivate to complete programs by earning a certificate for each course.
Learning achievements are recorded in the Program Record. It can be used to analyze the learning journey, continue it and demonstrate learning to others.
Users see the trainer of the course on the course description page with:
- Instructor’s photo and short bio
- Ranking of the instructors
- A link to the full profile
Full profile also shows:
- Full bio
- Comments section reviews from the learners
- The list of courses of this instructor
RG developed an extended profile, adding additional fields for users’ info:
- Length of Employment
Program certificates on the user’s profile page are also displayed to help track career progress.
Added functionality that allows ranking courses.
- leave their own reviews of the courses
- evaluate courses from 1 to 5
- like or dislike each other’s reviews.
(FOR VIDEO X-BLOCK)
Because YouTube is blocked in China, Tencent cloud hosting is widely used instead.
An appropriate feature has been developed to conveniently and easily embed mp4 videos.
Tencent’s integration with the LMS, allows uploading videos to cloud hosting and use its links in video xblocks.
Instructors can create and schedule MS Teams meetings in a particular course unit. We added a special button in the Unit editor (for simple meeting scheduling).
Students can join the meeting with link directly in a course unit.
All functionality is available in the LMS in two clicks.
We integrate the LMS with Power BI, using a standard RG set of dashboards.
Power Bi combines data from many sources to create interactive, immersive dashboards and reports that provide actionable insights and drive business results.
All data from the LMS are instantly transmitted and aggregated.
Our team provides staff training, annual support, and maintenance
- Software Requirements Specification
- Design mockups
- Open edX Platform installation (v. Koa, with branding)
- Tencent’s integration (For Video x-block)
- Single Sign-On
- Includes integration with 4 identity providers of Harrow school
- RG Analytics module
- RG Gamification module
- Custom Theme development (in cooperation with Harrow)
- Learning Path (Programs)
- Video Conferencing tool integration (MS Teams)
- PowerBI integration / Dashboards development
- Course Record/Choices (Skills Matrix)
- Learner Profile – Length of Employment, Career Progression
- Trainer Profile
- Course/Trainer Rating System + Comments Section
- Any Additional Development / Stabilization
- Staff training
- Annual Support and Maintenance
- Japanese theme
- Singapore installation
- Annual Support and Maintenance (Singapore)